This post appears here courtesy of the John Locke Foundation
. The author of this post is Mitch Kokai
Victor Davis Hanson
of National Review Online delivers a warning
to the president-elect.
- Joe Biden will be our next president. But he will face Nemesis in a way that few other presidents have ever encountered the cruel Greek god. Biden's hubris and that of the media/Democratic Party fusion almost guarantee such divine retribution.
- Once the last of the other Democratic-primary candidates dropped out and Biden was nominated, all prior negative media stories about his apparent cognitive decline and his family's financial entanglements disappeared. From April 2020 on, a virtual news blackout surrounded Biden. His rare interviews were scripted. Biden communiqués were teleprompted. Press conferences were either nonexistent or revolved around his favorite milkshake or his socks. ...
- ... A President Biden cannot avoid the press forever. He will soon face unscripted meetings with foreign leaders. He will have to meet dozens of movers and shakers each week. Is he or the nation prepared for the consequences of his return to normality after nearly a year of media fawning and forced isolation?
- To win, the Democrats knowingly drafted the 77-year-old Biden (who has since turned 78) to put a familiar veneer on radical agendas that had frightened primary voters. At times, Democrats seemed fated to be directly tied to the statue toppling, protesting, rioting, and violence that plagued American cities for much of the summer.
- Given the Democrats' Faustian bargain with their leftmost faction, destructive rumors about Biden's faculties or his family's financial escapades will more likely come from his own party's left wing, eager for a Harris presidency, rather than from the Republican opposition.
- Biden will enter office with an ethical cloud hanging over his head — one that could have been vetted and adjudicated rather than blacked out for most of 2020. His son, brother, and perhaps family associates may talk if faced with FBI and IRS probes, if not a special-counsel investigation.