In a blatantly transparent and shameless plea for campaign cash, legislative leaders Rep. Darren Jackson and Sen. Dan Blue endorsed Mayor Michael Bloomberg this past week. This Saturday, Bloomberg will appear at a fundraiser featuring Governor Roy Cooper and Party Chairman Wayne Goodwin. Why is he coming to help Governor Cooper? Find out below.
Governor Cooper has not only refused to tell North Carolinians who he voted for, but he's failed to state that he will support the Democratic nominee for president in November. Given reports that Cooper's senior advisor Morgan Jackson is working for Bloomberg, Cooper - as well as Democrats attending the fundraiser - should answer the following questions:
- Why should elderly patients be denied treatment to cut health care costs? At what age should treatment be cut off?
- "I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little." How is Mayor Bloomberg wrong?
- Mayor Bloomberg stated that, "There's this enormous cohort of black and Latino males, age, let's say, 16 to 25, that don't have jobs, don't have any prospects, don't know how to find jobs, don't know what their skillsets are, don't know how to behave in the workplace where they have to work collaboratively and collectively." Do you agree with Mayor Bloomberg? Why or why not?
- After 9/11, Mayor Bloomberg stated that "surveilling the American Muslim community was 'a natural place to go.'" Is he correct? Why or why not?
- Agriculture is one of if not the top industry in North Carolina. Bloomberg stated that he could "teach anyone...to be a farmer." Can he?
- Do you agree with Mayor Bloomberg that pregnant women cannot be effective in the workplace?
- Mayor Bloomberg has argued that we should raise taxes on the poor so that they don't have the money to buy things that he determines are harmful to them. How high should we raise taxes in North Carolina on those considered to be the least fortunate? On which "harmful" things should we raise taxes? Who determines what things are harmful?
- Contact: Jeff Hauser