Publisher's note: The author of this post is Mitch Kokai for the John Locke Foundation.
Amy Swearer documents
for the Daily Signal cases in which the right to bear arms saved lives.
- As the Supreme Court continued its decadelong silence in protecting the Second Amendment, Americans last month nevertheless proved that they understand the importance of the right to keep and bear arms.
- The FBI conducted a record-high 3.9 million background checks for firearms sales and transfers in June. The previous record of 3.7 million was set just this past March.
- It is little surprise that, during these difficult and uncertain times, many Americans who never before considered the prospect of gun ownership are coming to appreciate their Second Amendment rights. Even in "normal" times, Americans often rely on their firearms to protect themselves and others.
- According to a 2013 report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, almost every major study on the issue has found that Americans use their firearms in self-defense between 500,000 and 3 million times a year. There's good reason to believe that most of these defensive gun uses never are reported to police, much less make the local or national news.
- For this reason, The Daily Signal each month publishes an article detailing some of the previous month's many news stories on defensive gun use that you may have missed. ...
- ... Sometimes, lawful gun owners get it wrong and end up in the national news for using their guns irresponsibly. But more often, they get it right and few of us hear about it.
- Many of us don't hear about mothers defending their sons, or good Samaritans coming to the rescue of innocent neighbors.
- Many of us don't hear about the protesters whose Second Amendment rights saved the lives of those exercising their First Amendment rights.
- Many of us don't hear about the countless others whose lives and livelihoods were protected because of lawfully owned firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens.