Publisher's Note: This older, but yet to be published post is finally being presented now as an archivable history of the current events of these days that will become the real history of tomorrow.
Publisher's Note: This post appears here courtesy of the The Daily Wire. The author of this post is Daily Wire News.
ABC's "The View"
was mocked on Monday following a report that the show can't find a Republican host who fits a very narrow set of criteria that the show wants.
Politico reported that the show's four leftist co-hosts were "tired of the rotating cast of Republican guest hosts"
after rotating several following Meghan McCain leaving the show back in August.
"Sources close to the show said that the search has stalled as executives struggle to find a conservative cast-member who checks all the right boxes,"
the report said. "They will not consider a Republican who is a denier of the 2020 election results, embraced the January 6 riots, or is seen as flirting too heavily with fringe conspiracy theories or the MAGA wing of the GOP. But at the same time, the host must have credibility with mainstream Republicans, many of whom still support Donald Trump."
A former staffer for the show said that the show was "really looking for a unicorn"
and that they wanted " someone who is going to fight - but not too hard, because they don't want it to be ugly and bickering."
The show was widely mocked online, with some of the most notable responses including:
- Mark Hemingway, RealClearInvestigations: "Most conservatives believe 1/6 was bad and the election wasn't stolen. They also don't buy liberal orthodoxy that censoring Biden scandals didn't affect the election or that The View hosts' own excuses for political riots should be tolerated. That's the real issue."
- Karol Markowicz, columnist: "Oh, please. Just admit you want a show of liberals for liberals. It would be best for all of us if people could just be truthful."
- Megan Basham, The Daily Wire: "Too bad they're not looking for a man-suddenly picturing certain NeverTrump, White Eva bashing pundits in dresses."
- Mary Margaret Olohan, The Daily Signal: "The View Struggles To Find Highly Tailored Version Of Republican Woman Who Won't Be Too Problematic."
- Allie Beth Stuckey, BlazeTV: "If the producers find that 'difficult,' then they're not looking."
- Tim Graham, NewsBusters: "'The View' is a pit of vipers. There's no reason to root for it."
- Dan Gainor, NewsBusters: "Finding an approved conservative who's mostly liberal and won't beat up on the lame-a*s hosts of @TheView is really what they want."
- Kurt Schlichter, attorney and columnist: "It's getting harder and harder to find people with approved views."
- Drew Holden, writer: "What they're looking for isn't a unicorn but a heel: someone the other hosts can beat up on in perpetuity as the unlocks new host stands in as a forever villain. Good luck finding that."
- Kim Iversen, political commentator: "Increasingly people on the left are intolerant and call anyone and everyone they don't agree with 'conspiracy theorists' who shouldn't be platformed. The View wants a Republican but only one they agree with."
- Ed Morrissey, political commentator: "Maybe they should have *two*, which might make the cast more stable and also more balanced. Turning one woman into an isolated piñata certainly doesn't work for recruitment."
- Brian Riedl, economist: "Reminds me of the op-ed pages and political panels that seek to "balance" a large number of aggressive, ad hominem left-wingers with 1-2 moderate, apologetic barely-conservatives who will probably vote Democrat in the next the election. Basically, to be the Washington Generals."
- Caitlin Flanagan, political commentator: "There're not looking for a unicorn. They're looking for a masochist."
- Jay Arnold, political commentator: "So it's hard to find a conservative who isn't deplorable. Gotcha."
- Larry O'Connor, radio host: "The reason The View is having trouble filling 'The Republican Chair' on their show is because they want a Republican who won't win any arguments. Very hard to find."
- Jennifer Sey, political commentator: "I think the word they're looking for is 'punching-bag' not 'unicorn'."
The Daily Wire is one of America's fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member