— On Wednesday, August 5, 2020, the Department of Housing and Urban Development announced grants through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program. This CARES Act HVC Program provides funding to prevent, prepare for, and respond to COVID-19, including Mainstream Vouchers, which are specifically for non-elderly people with disabilities.
Eight of these grants worth $634,401 in total were given to the following entities in the Third District of North Carolina:
- Economic Improvement Council, Inc. (Edenton, NC): $165,478
- Eastern Carolina Human Services Agency, Inc. (Jacksonville, NC): $11,336 (Mainstream Voucher Program)
- Eastern Carolina Human Services Agency, Inc. (Jacksonville, NC): $101,309
- Housing Authority of the City of Kinston (Kinston, NC): $96,907
- Coastal Community Action, Inc. (Newport, NC): $49,885
- Twin Rivers Opportunities, Inc. (New Bern, NC): $130,366
- Greene County Public Housing Agency (Snow Hill, NC): $41,481
- Washington Housing Authority (Washington, NC): $37,639
Congressman Greg Murphy, M.D. (NC-03) issued the following statement:
"As we all know, congregate living spaces are highly susceptible to COVID-19 outbreaks. Among these are assisted living facilities, which are where most North Carolina deaths have occurred. I am thrilled that these eight housing authorities in eastern North Carolina will receive the help they need to prevent the further spread of COVID-19. These are our most vulnerable populations and they need all the protection that we can give them,"
- Michael Mead
- Communications Director
- Congressman Greg Murphy, M.D. (NC-03)
- Ph: (202) 225-3415