Candidate filing for the 2022 statewide primary and rescheduled municipal elections will resume at 8 a.m. Thursday, February 24, and run through noon March 4.
The following are 11 reminders about the candidate filing process from the N.C. State Board of Elections:
- For more information about the filing process, including filing times, dates and locations, please see here: Candidate Filing for 2022 Elections to Resume on February 24.
- Important: Candidates filing with the State Board will file at the Governor James G. Martin Building, 4381 Trinity Road, Raleigh, located on the N.C. State Fairgrounds. (Note: This is a change in location, as candidate filing in December was held in the Exposition Center, also on the Fairgrounds.) Candidates, guests, and members of the media should enter the Fairgrounds through Gate 9 at 4285 Trinity Road. (See Fairgrounds map.)
- Any candidate who filed in December 2021 and had their notice of candidacy accepted by the board of elections does not need to re-file if they still wish to run for the same office and district (if applicable). See here for lists of candidates who filed in December: Candidate Lists.
- Any candidate who wishes to change their prior filing will need to submit a form to withdraw their candidacy. The deadline to withdraw a Notice of Candidacy is the close of business on March 1. County boards of elections will be reviewing the legislative districts, when finalized, and will cancel the candidate filing for any candidate who no longer resides in the legislative district for which they originally filed. U.S. House candidates will not have their candidacy canceled by the State Board if they no longer reside in the district, since residency within the district is not a requirement for congressional candidates.
- Soon after the congressional and legislative districts are finalized by the courts, the State Board will post a search tool on its website where candidates can determine what districts they live in. Districts are expected to be finalized on Wednesday, February 23, and the search tool should be available within a day or two.
- Any candidates who are filing with the State Board of Elections will need to have the "Certificate of Registration" on the Notice of Candidacy form (Section 9) completed by the appropriate county board of elections' chairman or director before filing their Notice with the State Board.
- To keep candidates and staff safe and healthy, the State Board will implement a new process for filing in person. After candidates sign in, they will be asked to return to their vehicles and will be contacted by a State Board representative once staff is available to process the candidate's filing. All candidates should bring their cell phones for this process to work effectively.
- Any name or address changes should be submitted by the candidate to the appropriate county board of elections before filing the Notice of Candidacy with the State Board. Reminder: Pursuant to N.C.G.S. § 163-106.1, no person shall be permitted to file as a candidate in a party primary unless that person has affiliated with the party for at least 90 days as of the date of filing the notice of candidacy.
- Candidates can find more information at the State Board's Running for Office page. Filing fees are required for all offices, unless a candidate has submitted a valid petition in lieu of paying a filing fee, and the petition has been certified. Payment is via check or money order online. Credit cards are not accepted. For more information, visit the State Board's Filing Fees page.
- State Board staff will publish updated candidate lists twice daily here: Candidate Lists.
- For media: Candidate filing is a public process and members of the media are welcome to attend. Those who wish to cover candidates as they file at the Martin Building on the Fairgrounds should RSVP to Patrick Gannon at email@example.com. Please contact the relevant county board of elections about local filing.
- Anita Bullock Branch
- Deputy Director
- Beaufort County Board of Elections
- 1308 Highland Drive, Suite 104 / PO Box 1016
- Washington, NC 27889
- Ph: 252.946.2321
- Fax: 252.974.2962