Senator Burr has consistently supported efforts to strengthen and improve the Violence Against Women Act, to close loopholes in the sex offender registry, improve access to health care, and ensure equal pay in the work place.
- Senator Burr has supported legislation to reauthorize and strengthen the Violence Against Women Act.
- Authored the Military Sex Offender Reporting Act, which closed a loophole that allowed military sex offenders to evade registration on the National Sex Offender Registry. The bill was signed into law in June 2015.
- Voted for the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act, which cracked down on sexual predators and required convicted sex offenders to register on the sex offender registry. Senator Burr also he voted for the Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act of 2016, which reauthorized the National Sex Offender Registry.
- Cosponsored the SAFER Act to address the rape kit backlog.
- Cosponsored the Gender Advancement or Pay (GAP) Act which makes clear that employers must pay men and women equal wages for equal work, without reducing the opportunity for employers to reward merit.
- In 2014, Senator Burr led the effort to pass the Child Care and Development Block Grant Act (CCDBG) which provides vouchers to low-income working families to help with access to child care. This law includes a provision by Senator Burr to require all providers and their employees to complete a comprehensive criminal background check that ensures murderers, rapists, child abusers, and other violent felons cannot get into jobs working with children.
- Senator Burr introduced the Promoting Affordable Child Care for Everyone (PACE) Act, which would expand flexible spending accounts (FSA) as well as increase the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit so that low and middle income families can afford child care.
- Senator Burr is a cosponsor of the Allowing Greater Access to Safe and Effective Contraception Act which would help increase over the counter access to safe and effective contraceptives.
- Senator Burr supports funding for community health centers which improve women's health by providing access to services such as breast and cervical cancer screenings and family planning. The North Carolina Community Health Center Association has recognized Senator Burr for his support of community health centers.
- Contact: Jesse Hunt