Three-Judge Panel Explains why it Halted Ballot Preparations Until Aug. 31 | Eastern NC Now

The three-judge Superior Court panel reviewing two lawsuits on proposed constitutional amendments explained Monday why it put a halt until Aug. 31 on preparing and printing ballots for the Nov. 6 election

ENCNow
    Publisher's note: The author of this post is Dan Way, who is an associate editor for the Carolina Journal, John Hood Publisher.

    The three-judge Superior Court panel reviewing two lawsuits on proposed constitutional amendments explained Monday why it put a halt until Aug. 31 on preparing and printing ballots for the Nov. 6 election. The court cited the complexity of the two lawsuits before them, the brief time it had to issue a final order, and likely appeals.

    Federal law requires ballots to be distributed 45 days before the election. The court anticipates an appeal of any decision it eventually issues, and it did not want the Bipartisan State Board of Elections and Ethics Enforcement to print ballots that may have to be redone if the panel's decision were overturned.

    The panel didn't issue temporary restraining orders or preliminary injunctions requested by Gov. Roy Cooper, who is challenging two proposed amendments, and by the N.C. Conference of the NAACP and Clean Air Carolina, which are challenging four amendments. The plaintiffs want the amendments removed from the ballot. They claim the ballot language is misleading, the amendments would upset constitutional separation of powers, and they would shift appointments from the governor to the legislature.

    House Speaker Tim Moore, R-Cleveland, and Senate Leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, are named as defendants in the cases. So is the elections board, though it is siding with the plaintiffs in the cases.

    A hearing was held on both lawsuits Aug. 15.

    "It would not serve the public interest for the Board to begin preparing, printing, and testing the ballots before this Court enters its ultimate order on the parties' motions," the order said.

    "If the Board began preparing the ballots, then the Court later entered an order that affected the content of the ballot, the Board would be required to restarts its process, wasting the public resources that had been spent on the process before that time," the order said. "The Court intends to enter its ultimate order on the parties' motions as soon as possible."

    Ballots must be available for absentee voting 60 days before an election, meaning they'd need to be ready by Sept. 7. The elections board said it needs 21 days to prepare, print, and test the ballots, so the process should have started Aug. 17. The court has the authority to reduce the 60-day state mandate to 45, which would match federal requirements.

    The court issued the order Friday and released it about 4:30 Monday afternoon. It was signed by presiding Judge Forrest Bridges, with the consent of Judges Thomas Lock and Jeffery Carpenter.

    The order is set to expire Aug. 31, but could end earlier, depending on further actions by the panel or an appellate court.
Go Back

HbAD0

Latest State and Federal

It's a perfect storm of the decline of local lumber industries and the policies put in place to (mis)manage Canadian forests.
On Monday, US Rep. Chuck Edwards, R-NC11, was found in violation of the House Code of Official Conduct by the House Ethics Committee, regarding the prohibition of sexual harassment, resulting in calls for him to be censured.
Raleigh, N.C. — The State Board of Elections will hold a remote meeting via WebEx at 9 a.m. on Thursday, August 6, 2026.
The State Board of Elections will hold a remote meeting via Webex at 10 a.m. Monday, August 3, 2026.
“Not getting that large sum of money ... was just the final death blow to the company.”
“Neville Singham has been a mechanism and funding arm of the Chinese Communist Party.”

HbAD1

“I’m from America, 250 years ago we were way bigger than 6/1 dogs, and look at us thriving now.” Justin Gaethje pulls off an all time sports upset.
Raleigh, N.C. — The State Board of Elections has received complaints from county boards of elections and citizens about a recent mailing from a group attempting to register voters in North Carolina.
"I plan to keep his counsel close until our paths cross again," JD Vance said on Thursday.
On Tuesday, Democratic Gov. Josh Stein signed an executive order creating the bipartisan Health Care Affordability Commission that he said will look at ways to make healthcare more affordable for North Carolinians.
"Margo’s Got Money Troubles" explores how financial desperation drives women to OnlyFans. That’s not empowering. It’s exploitative.
"He is fully fit to carry out all duties of the Commander-in-Chief and Head of State."
"We are leveraging counterterrorism tools and global partnerships to deter this threat before it metastasizes," an official shared.

HbAD2

 
 
Back to Top