"All children deserve a stable, supportive, and loving home in which to grow, thrive, and realize their full potential."
— President Donald J. Trump
IMPROVING OUTCOMES: President Donald J. Trump is taking monumental action to strengthen America's foster care and adoption system, promoting better outcomes for children and families.
PROTECTING VULNERABLE YOUTH: Through this Order, President Trump is taking deliberate action to protect the lives and well-being of young Americans and children.
- President Trump is issuing an Executive Order that will enhance our child welfare system and promote permanency for children in the foster care system nationwide.
- Among other changes, the Order seeks to increase partnerships between public, private, faith-based, and community organizations to help keep families together and, when that is not possible, to find children forever families.
- It improves the resources available to both caregivers and children, including by increasing the accessibility of trauma-informed training.
- The Order will also drive transparency on key statutory child welfare requirements and guide States on how best to support high-quality legal representation for parents and children.
- Taken together, these actions demonstrate President Trump's commitment to ensure the welfare of America's children and promote safe, stable families.
UPLIFTING AMERICA'S CHILDREN: President Trump has taken decisive action to ensure America's children and families thrive.
- It is critical that we strengthen our foster care and adoption system in order to improve the outcomes experienced by America's children and youth and promote permanent homes.
- There are currently more than 400,000 children and youth in foster care in the United States, with many waiting years to find permanency with a family.
- Each year, close to 20,000 youth age out of care without the support of a forever family to help them navigate their entry into adulthood and support them as they pursue their dreams.
- Unfortunately, youth that age out without the support of a permanent home are shown to experience higher rates of homelessness, incarceration, and unemployment.
- Each and every child deserves a forever family, and the Trump Administration is working with partners at all levels to champion this cause and ensure that no child is forgotten.
- The Trump Administration has issued a national challenge to find permanent homes for all children and youth who are waiting for forever families.
- In February 2018, the President signed into law the landmark Family First Prevention Services Act - the most sweeping legislation to impact Federal child welfare financing and programs in decades.
- Last year, the President signed further legislation to encourage States to fully implement this Act as quickly as feasible.
- President Trump signed into law the CARES Act, which distributed $45 million in grants to States, territories, and tribes to support the child welfare needs of families impacted by coronavirus.
- Thanks to President Trump's leadership and the work of his Administration, the number of children entering foster care in recent years has declined considerably.