Student in Charlotte-Mecklenburg sex assault lawsuit appeals to 4th Circuit | Eastern NC Now

Almost a month after a jury ruled against her, a former Charlotte-Mecklenburg student is appealing her case to the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

ENCNow
    Publisher's Note: This post appears here courtesy of the Carolina Journal. The author of this post is CJ Staff.

    Almost a month after a jury ruled against her, a former Charlotte-Mecklenburg student is appealing her case to the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The student claims the city and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools mishandled her report of a sexual assault near Myers Park High School in 2015.

    The notice of appeal filed Thursday applies to trial court decisions stretching back to August 2022. Judge Robert Conrad ruled in favor of two individual defendants before the case headed to a trial. Conrad dismissed the city of Charlotte from the suit before sending the case to the jury.

    After a weeklong trial, the jury ruled on Jan. 20 that CMS did not commit a federal Title IX violation in handling the sexual assault complaint. That means the school system would not have to pay damages to the former student, identified in court as Jane Doe. She had been seeking more than $1 million.

    Court filings in the lawsuit allege that another student "grabbed and squeezed" Doe's arm and pulled her toward the woods next to campus, despite her verbal protest. Doe then sent a series of texts, according to the complaint: "Help me," "Guys, I'm being serious. I'm really scared." "Mom, I'm being kidnapped. Call somebody." After the texts, the fellow student raped Doe, according to the lawsuit.

    "Ms. Doe suffered and continues to suffer injuries, including, without limitations, emotional distress, psychological trauma, and mortification," according to the lawsuit. "The actions and inactions of defendants to discount Ms. Doe's abduction and subsequent rape by a fellow student were driven by endemic and discriminatory sex-based stereotypes and gender biases held by officials at MPHS."

    The jury determined CMS was not "deliberately indifferent." That's one of four criteria courts use to determine whether a Title IX infraction occurred.

    "We are grateful the jury reached their decision after hearing all of the evidence," CMS responded in a statement.

    Despite the trial court loss, Doe's attorneys said she felt "vindicated," according to a WSOC-TV report on the day of the verdict.

    "[The jury] found that she was sexually harassed and that it was severe," attorney Linda Bailey said. "Even at the end of the day, even with CMS not being held accountable, we still know that the jury believed her and that's what she wanted from the start."

    There's no word on a timeline for the 4th Circuit to consider the case.
Go Back


Leave a Guest Comment

Your Name or Alias
Your Email Address ( your email address will not be published )
Enter Your Comment ( text only please )




N.C. State asks applying students to affirm DEI Carolina Journal, Statewide, Editorials, Government, Op-Ed & Politics, State and Federal Inflation’s Strong January Increase Implies Long Road Ahead


HbAD0

Latest State and Federal

A new poll data points to continuing trend among the next generation of the left.
Trump administration policies are bringing the country back from the brink of an uncontrolled influx of illegal immigrants.
Ozturk's detention became a flashpoint in President Trump's mass deportation campaign.
“President Trump has always been clear about short-term disruptions as a result of Operation Epic Fury."
Cheryl Hines. Dennis Quaid. Nicki Minaj. All became associated with the Trump administration. What happened next?
A federal grand jury in North Carolina has indicted former FBI Director James Comey on two charges related to making threats against President Donald Trump.
Their goal was simple: to put a Planned Parenthood in every mailbox in America.
Treasury officials allege these groups pose as humanitarian entities while covertly siphoning donations to Hamas.

HbAD1

President Donald Trump has publicly floated regime change and other aggressive actions toward Cuba.
With a new roadside plaque unveiled in Ellerbe on April 23, legendary wrestler and local resident André René Roussimoff is finally getting the formal recognition fans believe he deserves.
Following a string of attacks, critics are calling for denaturalizations. It's not that simple.
The solution is not to legalize the problem; it is to enforce the law consistently and deter future illegal immigration.
The teachers union is pushing to cancel school on May 1 as Chicago public schools continue to report dismal student proficiency rates.
Mission accomplished on sending inspiration from the dark side of the moon.
Two years ago, new media brought President Trump back to the White House. What happened?
Victims’ advocates, prosecutors, law enforcement officials, and families impacted by violent crime gathered Tuesday at the North Carolina State Archives building in Raleigh to recognize National Crime Victims’ Rights Week and honor those affected by crime across North Carolina.

HbAD2

 
 
Back to Top