This post appears here courtesy of the John Locke Foundation
. The author of this post is Mitch Kokai
Stacey Lennox writes
at PJMedia.com about opportunities for state governments led by Republicans
to protect people's rights.
- Heads up, Greg Abbott, Brian Kemp, and every other Republican governor with a GOP legislature. A democrat trifecta at the federal level, like the one from 2009-2010, is now upon us. Unlike the first two years of the Obama administration, they will not be leaving their most radical legislation until midnight of Christmas Eve 2022. Bills such as the Equality Act and the PRO Act that have already passed the House will be rushed through the Senate.
- These bills alone will affect religious liberty and right-to-work legislation. Republican governors with a trifecta at the state level are the first line of defense against the erosion of our civil liberties because they will be coming for more as soon as they can modify Senate procedures to ram bills through with a simple majority.
- Following the 2020 election, there were 23 Republican-controlled state governments. ...
- ... In states with a Republican trifecta, a Second Amendment sanctuary needs to be declared. Red states should refuse to enforce any legislation that further infringes on gun rights or facilitates a federal registry of gun owners. Then they should litigate it, just as the Democrat states do. One of the only good things Mitch McConnell has done is fast-track judicial appointments. Shop for the correct jurisdiction, just like Democrats and the left do.
- Gun rights are just one area where red states should dig in their heels and support one another. Any law or national mandate that infringes on the civil liberties of residents of the state must be rejected. National COVID-19 lockdowns or mask mandates? The answer must be no. Hate speech laws that interfere with political speech? No, thank you. Red states need to become sanctuaries for the Bill of Rights — and defend them vigorously.