This post appears here courtesy of the The Daily Wire
. The author of this post is Daily Wire News
Former MSNBC host Chris Matthews received backlash from progressives over the last couple of days after declaring that he tried to warn "we were headed too far-left."
"Matthews - a moderate Democrat who was replaced by the far-left Joy Reid when he left MSNBC - shocked viewers in March 2020 by announcing he would immediately step down from his program amid a series of controversies,"
Fox News reported. "During his on-air remarks, the longtime MSNBC host then referenced claims of sexual harassment against him by a journalist who previously appeared on his show."
"I want Hardball fans to know how I appreciate your faith in me,"
Matthews tweeted. "2022 could be a great time to show what we've learned. I tried to warn we were headed too far left."
Notable leftist responses included:
- Will Brunch, columnist: "This is your takeaway from a year in which right-wing authoritarians tried to stage a violent coup??"
- Jay Rosen, NYU journalism professor: "Good lord. Have some dignity, man. Be thankful you're not Halperin and... I don't know- watch football games. Read some Churchill biographies. Try Lowe's."
- Gary Legum, blogger: "Did he get into some leftover eggnog?"
- David Cross: "'Too far left' Yes that's the real problem, we hired the centrist VP of a centrist president who isn't able to get legislation passed that would make a centrist appear somewhat leftist but only relative to how right leaning our current leftists are."
- David Atkins: "An evidence-free, self-serving take that perfectly exemplifies what was wrong with Hardball in the first place."
- Andrew Perez, writer: "Don't worry your old pundit colleagues have that narrative covered."
- Michael Sainato, writer: "Remember when this old creep 'retired' for sexual harassment only to try to creep back up to froth at the mouth a little more about the left?"
- Peter Daou: "LOL. I still remember when I launched the #TooFarLeft hashtag in response to Obama and it trended #1."
- Walker Bragman: "Imagine watching Biden squander the first trifecta Democrats have had in a decade in the face of an existential climate crisis and an escalating pandemic and thinking 'we need more of that!'"
- Max Berger: "The United States has the highest poverty rate in the OECD (17.8%), and the 3rd highest level of income inequality."
The Daily Wire is one of America's fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member