FBI joins Moore County investigation after night of curfew | Eastern North Carolina Now

    Publisher's Note: This post appears here courtesy of the Carolina Journal. The author of this post is CJ Staff.

    The Federal Bureau of Investigation has joined the case of widespread power outages across Moore County over the weekend. This comes after what officials say is a targeted attack on two power substations Saturday evening, plunging 40,000 homes and businesses across the region into darkness. School is closed Monday for Moore County schools.

    County officials made an emergency declaration and imposed a 9pm to 5am county-wide curfew Sunday night across the 11 municipalities impacted. In a press conference Sunday, Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields said that it appears the attackers broke through gate and opened fire on the substations.

    "Upon the arrival of deputies, extensive damage was found at the scene at substations, evidence showed that a firearm was used to disable the equipment," said Fields. "We are constantly working with the FBI, State Bureau of Investigation and all of our other local law enforcement folks here. We are working around the clock and we will continue to do so."

    Fields said they are getting assistance from the offices of Gov. Roy Cooper, Rep. Richard Hudson, and Rep. Dan Bishop. A shelter opened at the Moore County sports complex for those in emergency need of heat and power. Moore Regional Hospital in Pinehurst is open and operating on backup generator power.

    "Folks we are living in some challenging times, times I never thought in my 40 years in law enforcement that we would be seeing and dealing with," said Fields.

    "This is a criminal act and it appears to be a willful, intentional, and malicious act," state Sen. Tom McGinnis, R-Moore County, told media at the press conference Sunday night. "The perpetrator will be brought to justice and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

    On Twitter, there had been speculation that the attack was related to a drag show being held in Southern Pines, but Sheriff Fields told media that, so far, they have not found any evidence tying the crime to the show and said no group has stepped forward to claim responsibility.

    "This is going to be millions folks," Fields said. "Million not just to the power company, but to the citizens of Moore County, what they are losing in businesses. We are just getting over COVID, and now this and how it's going to affect all the businesses and the restaurants, it's going to hurt."
Go Back


Leave a Guest Comment

Your Name or Alias
Your Email Address ( your email address will not be published)
Enter Your Comment ( no code or urls allowed, text only please )




Vandalism blamed for widespread power outages in Moore County Carolina Journal, Statewide, Editorials, Government, Op-Ed & Politics, State and Federal Lindberg could face retrial on bribery, fraud charges in March


HbAD0

Latest State and Federal

The Penn Biden Center, a Washington think tank where classified documents were found in November, hosted an event encouraging deeper U.S.-China ties.
A federal agency under the Biden Administration walked back comments it made earlier in the week that it was considering a ban on gas stoves in new construction or as a replacement product, citing concerns that the appliances may cause a rise in respiratory illnesses.
On Monday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) announced that a North Korea-associated hacking group had carried out a robbery of $100 million in cryptocurrency last year.
According to a poll from late 2022, 50% of Americans trust the FBI either “hardly ever” or “some of the time.”
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services will host a Spanish-language Cafecito and tele-town hall on Tuesday, Jan. 31, from 6 to 7 p.m. to discuss the following:
Though the national media often fails to give them attention, state tax reforms are underway across the country.
Gov. Roy Cooper is upset that North Carolina House Republicans might amend a rule regarding overriding governor vetoes.
Gov. Roy Cooper's latest executive order bans TikTok and WeChat from state government computers and mobile phones.

HbAD1

On Thursday, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC) submitted a 14-page formal protest to Sam Watts, acting administrator of the State Health Plan, opposing the award of the plan’s 2025-27 third-party administrator contract to Aetna.
A performance audit released Thursday by North Carolina State Auditor Beth Wood’s office regarding the North Carolina Medical Board raises concerns for patient safety across the state.
To meet the law’s requirements of being least-cost while maintaining grid reliability, the Utilities Commission’s initial “Carbon Plan” sees natural gas as a “bridge fuel” until sufficient zero-emissions resources “are available and can replace at scale what gas contributes to the system”
N.C. Attorney General Josh Stein's challenge against a state criminal libel law from the 1930s could extend into the summer or beyond. New court paperwork sets out tentative dates for further legal action.
Private election administration funding, or “Zuck bucks,” influenced the outcome of some races in the 2020 election in North Carolina
Members of the North Carolina Senate were sworn into office Wednesday, marking the beginning of the 2023 long session for the state legislature.
An FAA computer system used for communication with air traffic control and enabling pilots to access flight plans crashed early Wednesday morning, causing the FAA to ground all flights for a short time across the U.S., including North Carolina.
How following California’s disastrous policies on electric vehicles will likely lead the state to ruin

HbAD2

 
Back to Top