House Votes To Cancel I-77 Toll Contract; Senate Fate Uncertain | Eastern North Carolina Now

    Publisher's note: The author of this post is Barry Smith, who is an associate editor for the Carolina Journal, John Hood Publisher.

81-27 vote says contract with Spanish company Cintra can be terminated for 'cause'


    RALEIGH     The state House on Thursday overwhelmingly passed a bill that would put the brakes on the Interstate 77 high-occupancy or toll lanes project in Mecklenburg and Iredell counties.

    Rep. Charles Jeter, R-Mecklenburg, who sponsored House Bill 954, said the project cancels the project "under the premise of cause."

    "It is my belief and some others' belief that they didn't materially disclose some potential and pending litigation," Jeter said, referring to Cintra, the Spain-based company that the Department of Transportation contracted with to build the 26-mile managed lane project.


CJ file photo


    The "cause" premise is significant, because if a court rules that there was no cause for canceling the contract, the state could be on the hook for an estimated $250 million in penalties. On Wednesday, Transportation Secretary Nick Tennyson said proving the "cause" premise could be difficult since a DOT inspector general had already concluded that no significant omissions in document submission occurred.

    Rep. John Torbett, R-Gaston, who co-chairs the House Transportation Committee, said the state was getting a good deal with the project. If the project continues, motorists could be using the highway by 2018, he said. If it's canceled and the DOT builds the highway without tolls, it would take a lot longer given the difficulty in finding money for such an expensive project, he added.

    "There'll be orange barrels up and down I-77 for about 15 years," Torbett said.

    Motorists using the proposed HOT lanes would be required to pay a toll unless at least three people are in their vehicle. The plan calls for two HOT lanes to be built in both directions alongside two standard untolled lanes from the Berkshire Freeway in Charlotte to the N.C. 150 interchange in Iredell County.

    The bill passed the House by an 81-27 vote. It faces a less-than-certain fate in the Senate. In April, before the short session began, Senate leader Phil Berger, R-Rockingham, said he had not seen any information leading him to believe that stopping the project was the right thing to do.

    "The I-77 toll lanes issue has been around for a while," Berger said during the April press conference. "I don't see any need for any significant change."
Go Back


Leave a Guest Comment

Your Name or Alias
Your Email Address ( your email address will not be published)
Enter Your Comment ( no code or urls allowed, text only please )




NCGOP Statement On Hillary Clinton's Disastrous National Security Record Statewide, Government, State and Federal Beaufort County Government's General Meeting Agenda: Monday, June 6, 2016


HbAD0

Latest State and Federal

The Missouri Senate approved a constitutional amendment to ban non-U.S. citizens from voting and also ban ranked-choice voting.
Police in the nation’s capital are not stopping illegal aliens who are driving around without license plates, according to a new report.
House Judiciary Chair Jim Jordan (R-OH) is looking into whether GoFundMe and Eventbrite cooperated with federal law enforcement during their investigation into the financial transactions of supporters of former President Donald Trump.
Far-left Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) was mocked online late on Monday after video of her yelling at pro-Palestinian activists went viral.
Daily Wire Editor Emeritus Ben Shapiro, along with hosts Matt Walsh, Andrew Klavan, and company co-founder Jeremy Boreing discussed the state of the 2024 presidential election before President Joe Biden gave his State of the Union address on Thursday.
Former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley said this week that the criminal trials against former President Donald Trump should happen before the upcoming elections.
Vice President Kamala Harris ignored recommendations while attorney general of California to investigate an alleged pyramid scheme at a company linked to her husband, according to documents obtained by The New York Post.
'The entire value add of Hunter Biden to our business was his family name and his access to his father, Vice President Joe Biden'

HbAD1

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced on Tuesday that he has selected Nicole Shanahan to be his vice presidential running mate as he continues to run as an Independent after dropping out of the Democratic Party’s presidential primary late last year.
The campaign for former President Donald Trump released a statement Saturday afternoon condemning the White House’s declaration of Easter Sunday as “Transgender Day of Visibility.”
On Tuesday, another Republican announced that he plans to retire early from the House, a decision that would further diminish a narrow GOP majority in the lower chamber.
"President Trump is moved by the invitation to join NYPD Officer Jonathan Diller’s family... "
Arkansas Republican Governor Sarah Sanders said on Tuesday that the state would ban the use of “X” on driver’s licenses and that state IDs must identify the individual as either male or female, according to an announcement first shared with The Daily Wire.
The State Board of Elections and local district attorneys argue that a recent change in North Carolina election should prompt a federal court to throw out a lawsuit from felon voting advocates.
A former Boeing employee who raised safety concerns related to the company’s aircraft production was found dead this week.
Pro-life advocates slammed a decision on Friday from pharmacy giants Walgreens and CVS to begin selling abortion pills.

HbAD2

 
Back to Top