This post appears here courtesy of the The Daily Wire
. The author of this post is Amanda Prestigiacomo
The Department of Justice boasted last week that more than 725 people have been arrested in connection to the U.S. Capitol breach on January 6, 2021.
According to the press release, 640 defendants "have been charged with entering or remaining in a restricted federal building or grounds."
Some defendants are facing multiple charges.
"Thursday, Jan. 6 2022, marks one year since the attack on the U.S. Capitol that disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress in the process of affirming the presidential election results,"
the DOJ said. "The government continues to investigate losses that resulted from the breach of the Capitol, including damage to the Capitol building and grounds, both inside and outside the building."
The Justice Department said the monetary cost of damage to the Capitol building is estimated to be $1.5 million worth.
Notably, the left-wing riots and looting that took place across American cities following the death of George Floyd racked up an estimated $2 billion in damages.
The DOJ boasted of working at an "unprecedented speed and scale"
to investigate and prosecute "those who committed crimes on Jan. 6, 2021,"
and promised to continue the pursuit.
"Under the continued leadership of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia and the FBI's Washington Field Office, the investigation and prosecution of those responsible for the attack continues to move forward at an unprecedented speed and scale,"
the release said. "The Department of Justice's resolve to hold accountable those who committed crimes on Jan. 6, 2021, has not, and will not, wane."
Below is a recap of the arrests and charges, per the DOJ:
- More than 225 defendants have been charged with assaulting, resisting, or impeding officers or employees, including over 75 individuals who have been charged with using a deadly or dangerous weapon or causing serious bodily injury to an officer.
- Approximately 140 police officers were assaulted Jan. 6 at the Capitol including about 80 U.S. Capitol Police and about 60 from the Metropolitan Police Department.
- Approximately 10 individuals have been arrested on a series of charges that relate to assaulting a member of the media, or destroying their equipment, on Jan. 6.
- Approximately 640 defendants have been charged with entering or remaining in a restricted federal building or grounds.
- Over 75 defendants have been charged with entering a restricted area with a dangerous or deadly weapon.
- More than 45 defendants have been charged with destruction of government property, and over 30 defendants have been charged with theft of government property.
- At least 275 defendants have been charged with corruptly obstructing, influencing, or impeding an official proceeding, or attempting to do so.
- Approximately 40 defendants have been charged with conspiracy, either: (a) conspiracy to obstruct a congressional proceeding, (b) conspiracy to obstruct law enforcement during a civil disorder, (c) conspiracy to injure an officer, or (d) some combination of the three.
The Daily Wire is one of America's fastest-growing conservative media companies and counter-cultural outlets for news, opinion, and entertainment. Get inside access to The Daily Wire by becoming a member