Comments by Bobby Tony | Beaufort County Now | Browse all Comments by Bobby Tony... | comments, Bobby Tony, Old-Sarge, beaufort county, bcn, nc, north carolina, now, beaufortcountynow, events, articles, business, photos, news, government

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Comments by Bobby Tony

I doubt it would have changed things, but these 52 words would have been much better if published prior to the Wednesday Capitol Demonstration on January 6, 2021.

Of course, the text will be interpreted and parsed by the media due to the capitalization of the ALL as a further denial by the President that he still does not condemn the rioters specifically.

"In light of reports of more demonstrations, I urge that there must be NO violence, NO lawbreaking and NO vandalism of any kind. That is not what I stand for, and it is not what America stands for. I call on ALL Americans to help ease tensions and calm tempers. Thank You.” The White House Official Site

www.whitehouse.gov
Commented: Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 @ 2:28 pm By: Bobby Tony
One of the first lessons I learned years ago bellowed by some old grunt Sarge was “it is what it is!” Unlike the Military, Politicians don’t apparently have a problem with “leaving someone behind” when their usefulness has ended. Their horizon is solely based on 2,4 or 6 year increments.

What I think is no longer relevant to the past election.
Once again Hollywood makes the point better than I could.

youtu.be
Commented: Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 @ 11:09 am By: Bobby Tony
Donald Trump is now or soon will be irrelevant except for those on the left who want to put a stake in his heart and those on the right who cannot except reality. He is now reaping the crop that he in a large part sowed and cultivated. Regardless of the manner or legality of the election, he lost, it has been certified, and the next curtain for the next act is being raised. The actors are in place and the show continues.
As Shakespeare said:
“This life, which had been the tomb of his virtue and of his honour, is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” MACBETH. Shakespeare
The challenge now, is for some political party to rebrand its self-using the foundation of freedom, respect, compassion, Fiscal responsibility, limited Federal control and equality of opportunity for all. The politics of group think & Party allegiance has produced this tribalism which is counterproductive to any sense of a self-governing society.
Most people are reasonable as individuals but irrational as a group, mob or movement. Even Hollywood knew that.

youtu.be
Commented: Wednesday, January 13th, 2021 @ 8:41 am By: Bobby Tony
Call me a cynic, but one of the safest things you can do in Washington DC is to have an affair. Since everyone else is doing it you have a good chance of it not being revealed. The media and your comrades will hide information for fear of being exposed themselves. However if it ever becomes a headline, the hypocrites will abandon you as quick as they can.

My old man always said about such things as this “Don’t worry boy, when the Crap hits the fan, there is always plenty enough to go around!” (he used a different word)
Commented: Wednesday, December 16th, 2020 @ 6:35 pm By: Bobby Tony
I agree with the basic principle of this editorial, however it presupposes that people make rational decisions.
My old mathematics professor said something to the effect:
1. “If you want to give facts use numbers,
2. If you want to make an impression use percentages!
3. If you want to tell the whole truth show the formula.”
The truth is that most people rarely make a real risk assessment when making a decision. They rarely use 3 above but make judgements based on a gut feeling. They also rarely know the probability before they embark on a course. In every case listed in the article above the action was taken based on a worthy goal worth whatever they perceived as the risk. I am coming to the belief that many of us Americans no longer have a worthy goal other than to just survive.
I use a variation of this chart quite often when I am trying to make a comparison of risk. My goal is of course to stay away from the last one. Even I know the numbers aren’t in my favor.

Commented: Saturday, December 12th, 2020 @ 4:03 pm By: Bobby Tony
It's amazing how that six-string monster can be conquered in the right hands. I guess it's a lot like golf. In the hands of some the club and instrument doesn't matter. In the hands of a master, the club and instrument carries the performance to the next level.
Commented: Monday, December 7th, 2020 @ 10:36 am By: Bobby Tony
Phase 4: There is no evidence that there was election fraud.
Commented: Friday, November 13th, 2020 @ 11:46 am By: Bobby Tony
Phase 5: That's old news, it time to move on.
Commented: Friday, November 13th, 2020 @ 11:45 am By: Bobby Tony
The secret is to live to fight another day.

Thus Center Mass is the prescribed target area, or as Mel Gibson said in "The Patriot"

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL

I say that as a person who no longer owns a gun having passed my collection down to my son. I would rather RIP if needed, than have any more bad nightmares with what could or should have been.
Commented: Tuesday, November 10th, 2020 @ 8:27 am By: Bobby Tony
Right On Alex. It is a well-known fact that only The Lone Ranger can shoot the pistol (knife) out of the bad guy’s hand. Contrary to all the western scenes we see in movies, don’t be fooled. They are all trick photography. The Lone Ranger’s is real, I know I saw it myself on TV.

Lash LaRrue was pretty good with his bullwhip, but he only had a limited range.

To paraphrase Bo Uecker’s quote on the best way to catch a knuckleball.

“The best way to disarm a man is to pick up the weapon after you kill him.”

Sounds a bit harsh, I know, but have you ever heard a bullet whiz by your head? You know they travel faster than the speed of sound, but it’s better to look back on an incident than to look up at one from six feet down.
Commented: Tuesday, November 10th, 2020 @ 4:56 am By: Bobby Tony
I’ve simplified it for my old arthritic hands. C Em Am G7. The rest pretty much the same. Once you get the 6/8 Roll rhythm down it’s like an old 50s song. 123-4-56

youtu.be
Commented: Thursday, November 5th, 2020 @ 7:24 pm By: Bobby Tony
It never fails. When one of these Icon's pass, I do a deep dive on YouTube and find numerous songs that I never knew they made. That is particularly true with song writers. I stop buying albums and CD's years ago and as a result only knew the hits for some. I have often thought that the best songs were the B-Side of a single or lost in the 12 or so tracks on an album.

Since I am guilty of over analyzing everything, I don't doubt that GEMS will not appear until they pass should I still be alive when that occurs.
Commented: Thursday, November 5th, 2020 @ 3:48 pm By: Bobby Tony
Here's one you should learn from my favorite Liberal singer. I can overlook just about anything Willie says because, well because... who wants to take advice from a Pot Head. He is however a very good entertainer. (for the record I've never had a joint in my life. 2nd hand high as close as I ever got)

youtu.be
Commented: Wednesday, November 4th, 2020 @ 11:23 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

Guy wrote some great songs. Here’s one that had a bunch of collaborators. The Guitar. Will send chills down you or up your back. And his buddy Verlon can’t be beat when it comes to guitar work.

It sure beats listening to election returns. I can wait until tomorrow to get the post op.

youtu.be
Commented: Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020 @ 8:20 pm By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

Just posted a Jerry Jeff Walker Icon post. He and Guy Clark (writer of LA Freeway) were buddies back in the day.

I'm sorry to see these icon pass but it sure beats the early deaths of some of the Rock Stars from the drugs. You recon the type of music provided a level of protection because I'm pretty sure most the recent deaths in their 70s & 80 partook as well.
Commented: Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020 @ 5:18 pm By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

This one maybe just a bit over the line, but that’s where Jerry Jeff played.

youtu.be
Commented: Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020 @ 4:20 pm By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

My Davy Crockett days have long since passed, I have prepared some soapy water to pour on The driveway. Wheel chairs and canes have a hard time on slippery surfaces. I’ve got my boom box ready just in case.

youtu.be
Commented: Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020 @ 4:00 pm By: Bobby Tony
Many Including Jefferson (who is also my favorite President) felt that the Louisiana Purchase was unconstitutional without an amendment, but the deal was too good to pass up so he took a gamble. In essence he used the end justifies the means which I don't think is in the Constitution. However I would defer to Diane's more informed knowledge on the subject.

"Jefferson took a strict, literal view of constitutional powers, meaning that specific powers reserved for the President and Executive Branch needed to be spelled out in the Constitution. The ability to buy property from foreign governments was not among these powers listed the Constitution – a fact that his political opponents, the Federalists, were eager to point out to the President.

Instead, Jefferson considered a constitutional amendment the only way to conclude the deal with France. “The General Government has no powers but such as the Constitution gives it,” he wrote to John Dickinson in 1803. “It has not given it power of holding foreign territory, and still less of incorporating it into the Union. An amendment of the Constitution seems necessary for this.”

However, Jefferson had no intention of losing the deal with France. “In the meantime we must ratify and pay our money, as we have treated, for a thing beyond the Constitution, and rely on the nation to sanction an act done for its great good, without its previous authority,” he told Dickinson."

constitutioncenter.org
Commented: Monday, October 26th, 2020 @ 1:05 pm By: Bobby Tony
With the possible exception of George Washington, all presidents after him look upon the constitution as nothing more than a temporary Road Work Ahead sign in the way to accomplish their goals.
Does that make me a cynic? I SUPPOSE SO.

Commented: Sunday, October 25th, 2020 @ 12:56 pm By: Bobby Tony
As old Abe Lincoln said: "There's a sucker born ever minute!"

Once Brainy Quotes does a Web crawl this quote will appear in their list of Brainy Quotes. I know that because there must have been someone who followed old Abe around and wrote everything he said knowing that sooner or later there would be a search engine that they could sell it to.

www.brainyquote.com
Commented: Sunday, October 25th, 2020 @ 9:36 am By: Bobby Tony
I usually try to credit Quotes to the author if I know who it is. Unless it is a particularly funny or profound quote, then I take credit or say that's what my father always said. You know, just keep it in the family.
Commented: Tuesday, October 20th, 2020 @ 11:09 am By: Bobby Tony
I admit that sometimes, I may be a bit too quick to form an opinion, but generally I give people leeway on what they think.

youtu.be
Commented: Monday, October 19th, 2020 @ 12:38 pm By: Bobby Tony
Alex, you may have a point there but some would say there was a missed call way back in 1978. I had a NO fan tell me they missed a holding call on that play that would have called back the Hail Mary pass. As a Falcon fan, I always thought it was going a bit too far to name the pass a Hail Mary particularly against New Orleans Saints

"Today, in fact, marks the 36-year anniversary of what some believe is the most infamous play in club history: the Atlanta Falcons "Big Ben" Hail Mary that beat the Saints 20-17 on Nov. 12, 1978." Quote from the link below.

www.nola.com
Commented: Sunday, August 16th, 2020 @ 11:30 am By: Bobby Tony
"The worst Non-Call in NFL history occurred near the end of the New Orleans Saints vs. Los Angeles Rams playoff game on January 31, 2019."

Now you have gone and done it. This is sure to create an argument complete with numerous examples of worst calls and non-calls. Other than that everything makes perfect sense.

It might even start a new organization "The Who Dats Matter"
Commented: Saturday, August 15th, 2020 @ 11:35 am By: Bobby Tony
What goes around comes around. This little tune is from 1959, but it never knew how bad it would get because it has a bit of humor in it.

youtu.be
Commented: Wednesday, July 8th, 2020 @ 3:50 pm By: Bobby Tony
In my work career, I have been in plants that produce almost everything that we humans consume. The old saying about not wanting to watch how sausage is made is true of almost everything we eat, including vegetables and the ever popular American Hot Dog.

Your article is right on point, It has indeed been a strange year (and years since 2016). I must admit I still cringe at the boorish behavior of the President and his over the top tweets, but I attribute a good bit of that to the New York persona. Highly populated Urban Environments tend to put a hard edge on people while living in a fantasy land like Hollywood tends to erode the cognitive cells of even the most bleeding of hearts.

"Hey, I'm walking here!"

In a way is it possible that without men like Georgie Patton and Douglas MacArthur we may be speaking German or Japanese today. Neither of them had a penchant for Politically Correct grammar.
Commented: Wednesday, January 1st, 2020 @ 11:39 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

It may all depend on just how large those "occasional nut shell pieces" are when they complete the cycle on the way to the Sewage Plant.
Commented: Wednesday, January 1st, 2020 @ 11:29 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

Many Doctors will tell you the one of the biggest dangers to your health is SUGAR. But saving the world from CLIMATE CHANGE has such a much better ring to it. Don't forget to look out for those "occasional nut shell pieces"

I think I can safely say I have broken my resolution, but I doubt anyone actually placed a bet considering the long odds.

Best Wishes for a healthy, prosperous and safe new year.
Commented: Wednesday, January 1st, 2020 @ 9:39 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

Some may miss construe the comment above as indicating that I think the facts surrounding the Trump Ukraine phone call was a whitewash. Quite the contrary, there was never anything on the fence to hide. The whitewash was the entire Russian collusion fiasco that necessitated a side show of impeachment to detract the gullible.
Commented: Friday, December 20th, 2019 @ 6:17 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

Thank You. Least we think the show is over, we are only starting ACT II. It kind of reminds me of Tom Sawyer, who was ordered to Whitewash the fence and managed to trick his buddies into doing the work while he sat by and watched.

Given President Trump's penchant for the limelight, I suspect he is enjoying this immensely while at the same time bitterly complaining about the whole project.

It has all the elements of today's mess. Whitewash, Fence, and a bunch of brain numb painters eager to get their hand on the brush. The end result being predetermined. A Clean White Fence which the painters will claim their work was a Whitewash and Tom's (The Donald's) Fault.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
Commented: Thursday, December 19th, 2019 @ 8:35 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

I would tend to agree but like most national politicians, I think FDR was foremost an opportunist. There have been many books and articles written about his shifting philosophy. Yes indeed, Eleanor was a committed Socialist, as is usually the case with those safely ensconced within a cocoon of wealth and / or tenured "professionalships" in University and Colleges. There really are only two kinds of Socialist:

1. Those wanting to give other people's money away
- - - - - - - -There may be a sub category to number 1:
- - - - - - - - -1a: Those trying to take over a government by using 'FREE STUFF FOR THE POOR"

2. Those willing to accept that money from number 1.

All of this is political theater, but with an expanded stage due to the large exposure of social media, cable and other pseudo stages where almost everyone can have a moment at center stage. At the risk of falling into the trap of putting too much faith in government, perhaps we should pass an amendment.

I would call it the Andy Warhol Amendment except the time limit would be 5 minutes instead of 15.

My time is up.

Commented: Monday, December 16th, 2019 @ 6:36 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

I guess I had Roosevelt's “The Man in the Arena” speech in mind when I alluded to the spectator sport. My lament is really directed to the fact that we have relaxed our standards for our leaders which has resulted in a ruling class that no longer drawn from the ranks of the average citizen.

My favorite part of the speech is not the arena reference so often quoted, but the paragraphs before it. We no longer select our leaders from average citizens who 'possess the gifts of sympathy with plain people and of devotion to great ideals classes.'
-- -- -- --
"But with you and with us the case is different. With you here, and with us in my own home, in the long run, success or failure will be conditioned upon the way in which the average man, the average woman, does his or her duty, first in the ordinary, every-day affairs of life, and next in those great occasional crises which call for the heroic virtues. The average citizen must be a good citizen if our republics are to succeed. The stream will not permanently rise higher than the main source; and the main source of national power and national greatness is found in the average citizenship of the nation. Therefore it behooves us to do our best to see that the standard of the average citizen is kept high; and the average cannot be kept high unless the standard of the leaders is very much higher.

It is well if a large proportion of the leaders in any republic, in any democracy, are, as a matter of course, drawn from the classes represented in this audience to-day; but only provided that those classes possess the gifts of sympathy with plain people and of devotion to great ideals."
www.leadershipnow.com
-- -- --
Not everyone is called to preach or serve in public office, but neither the preacher or the public official should be ever think he is above criticism because he is in the arena. The biggest danger is not the people in the arena but the public that allows them to stay there too long. Teddy himself found the allure of the arena too great a magnet when he chose to return to politics in the 1912 election believing he was the savior of the Republican party..
Commented: Wednesday, November 20th, 2019 @ 7:46 pm By: Bobby Tony

Thanks.

One of my continuing laments is that we have allowed the system to devolve into nothing more than a game filled with charlatans and pretenders. For all practical purposes we have allowed the governing of this country to become nothing more than a spectator sport at the national level. By placing too much emphasis on the Central Government model, we have abdicated our personal responsibility to serve our interest and the interest of our own community to a bunch of people who no longer live in our community but maintain a mailing address in hopes we will continue to think they are residents. I doubt if most of the Congress and Senators could qualify for instate tuition residency if we applied the same rules to them that we do to students applying to State Universities (unless you consider them as immigrants).

www.uncsa.edu
Commented: Thursday, November 14th, 2019 @ 7:52 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

It's nice to wake up every morning with a clean slate. I know it may be a problem for the readers to keep seeing repeats of my thoughts but in the it reminds me of the quote from Men In Black when the Cop drops off the Cat at the Morgue..

Cop: There's a problem with the cat. Sign here.
Laurel: (deputy medical examiner) What's the problem with the cat?
Cop: It's your problem now.
Commented: Tuesday, October 8th, 2019 @ 9:47 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

I am aware that Dementia and Alzheimer's is not a laughing matter for many families and people who suffer from this disease, but we are increasingly forgetting that sometimes humor is God's gift to us to help us through the most difficult times in life. Look up "it don't mean nothin`"

www.urbandictionary.com
Commented: Tuesday, October 8th, 2019 @ 9:07 am By: Bobby Tony
While Beaufort County Now will be a permanent online library for your articles, I dearly hope you are keeping a printed copy for future generations of the family. After all, it is possible that digital content will not be a permanent as some of us have come to expect (reel to reel, eight track, cassette, VHS). These stories will provide a historical context to these times for your family.
Commented: Monday, October 7th, 2019 @ 7:36 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

I have often been told I was in a class by myself and it usually was not a compliment but now I have been elevated to my own galaxy. As Carl would say "So, I've got that going for me!"

Commented: Friday, October 4th, 2019 @ 9:39 am By: Bobby Tony
Here us an interesting exercise.

"Make a list of all the things you forgot and try not to forget them again."

Believe it or not, I think it works since I have an empty list.
Commented: Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 @ 10:10 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

It funny that you would select Grapes as the lead picture. Here are a few quotes from my "Bobby Tony Witty Database" that may be worthy of consideration.

"You can be drinking the wine today, but picking the grapes tomorrow." Jonathan Tucker

"One of the disadvantages of wine is that it makes a man mistake words for thoughts." Samuel Johnson

Either give me more wine or leave me alone.” ― Rumi, circa 1200’s

“The discovery of a wine is of greater moment than the discovery of a constellation. The universe is too full of stars.” ― Benjamin Franklin, circa 1700s

“Wine is the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages.” ― Louis Pasteur
Commented: Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 @ 6:23 am By: Bobby Tony
I always try to use humor to diffuse the potential calamity of losing one's cognitive abilities. In reality it was somewhat of a shock with this memory lapse since it involved the loss of "Working Memory" which is used to perform tasks. We all seem to have lapses in
"Short Term" memory from time to time but when it involves a skill set it can be disconcerting.

I remember that Glen Campbell who had severe Alzheimer's was able to continue to play the guitar and remember all the intricate chord and picking leads while at the same time forgetting the lyrics and often playing the same song over again a few minutes later in his last concerts.

I am not overly concerned because I know that the only thing we have to fear is .. .. .. .." Well you get my point.
Commented: Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 @ 6:08 am By: Bobby Tony

Commented on

I guess purpose of my article is to perhaps provoke some thought within the readership of BCN on the fragility of rights when we have conflicting opinions and are willing to act on them. The horse is not dead yet. Here is another blow to the poor animal.

Where is the dividing line between your rights and mine?

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. is credited with saying: "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man’s nose begins."

I find it somewhat revealing that some of the non-thinking Liberals (and some conservatives as well) would use my or General Mattis' forceful language about protecting our individual right to bear arms as the very premise to deny those very rights, because we propose resorting to rebellion against their efforts to subjugate our rights that are not part of their agenda. I can almost hear them thinking now "He should not be allowed to own a weapon because he has a tendency toward violence."
Given their propensity to equate speech to action as a dangerous fact, they would be just as willing to deny the rights of the first amendment given the chance (Ever hear of hate speech?).
Commented: Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 9:37 am By: Bobby Tony