Our office is currently monitoring a series of approaching weather systems that have the potential to bring severe storms to our area tonight, Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon. These storms will most likely present as fast moving bands, that have the potential to intensify quickly, producing periods of heavy rain and strong winds similar to what we experienced last Thursday. While large hail and isolated tornados are not likely, they cannot be ruled out. Forecast details for Beaufort County are as follows:
- Rain chance will begin to increase after 7pm, with 1/2 inch of rain likely between 9pm and 1am Wednesday morning. (Localized higher amounts are possible depending upon the track of strong storms cells.)
- The greatest chance of severe storms will be between 9pm tonight and 4am Wednesday morning.
- Wednesday will be the least threatening of this three (3) day forecast, as most of the severe weather potential is expected to stay west of our area that afternoon. However, an increasing chance of scattered light rain is forecasted between 7pm and midnight.
- A chance of scattered light rain will continue for all of Thursday, with most areas expected to receive less than 1/4 inch. (Again, localized higher amounts are possible depending upon the track of strong storms cells.)
- Thursday will have the greatest potential for severe weather, especially between 2pm and 7pm.
Please see the email below and attached briefing from the National Weather Service for more information.
We encourage everyone to continue to monitor local media outlets for updates as well as any watches and / or warnings that may be issued. We also ask that everyone ensure that you have a means of being notified of those watches / warnings, (ie. weather radios, app notifications) as these weather systems have the potential to impact our area during the overnight hours.
As always, thank you all for what you do to keep Beaufort County informed, prepared and safe.
Deputy Director, Beaufort County Emergency Services
1420 Highland Dr
Washington, NC 27889
There is a Marginal Risk for severe weather tonight, again late Wednesday night, and a Slight Risk Thursday afternoon and evening as a series of rapidly moving weather systems cross the area.
The main threats will be isolated damaging wind gusts and large hail, though a tornado can't be ruled out.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the office at (252) 223-5737 Ext. 6.
NWS Morehead City