Tropical Weather Impacts This Weekend | Eastern North Carolina Now | Our office is currently monitoring the formation Tropical Storm Colin, and it’s progression along the coastal Carolinas. The current forecast suggests that this will primarily be a rain event for Beaufort County. However, scattered thunderstorms and isolated tornados cannot be ruled out.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Press Release:

    Good Morning Everyone,

    Our office is currently monitoring the formation Tropical Storm Colin, and it's progression along the coastal Carolinas. The current forecast suggests that this will primarily be a rain event for Beaufort County. However, scattered thunderstorms and isolated tornados cannot be ruled out.

    We recognize that many of you have outdoor plans for this holiday weekend, so we have tried to include as much detail pertaining to timing of these impacts as possible. As always, weather forecast are not absolute, so conditions could vary. Current forecast details are as follows:

    Rain / Thunderstorms

    Beaufort County is forecasted to receive 1 to 2 inch of rain between now and sunrise Tuesday. Rain showers are expected to be scattered in nature as rain bands move through our area. However, some of these bands could produce locally heavy downpours. Rain chances for each day of this holiday weekend are as follows:

  • Saturday (70% chance of rain during the day, with 30% at night.)
  • The greatest chance of rain is forecasted to occur between sunrise and noon, with scattered rain likely. (1/2 inch of rain is currently forecasted for this time period.)
  • Rain chances diminish between 2p and 7p, with occasional rain possible. (1 to 2 tenths of an inch of rain is currently forecasted.)
  • Very little rain is currently forecasted to occur between 8p and 3am. Any rain that does occur should be light and short lasting. (Less than a tenth of an inch is currently forecasted.)
  • Sunday (60% chance of rain.)
  • There is a chance of scattered rain showers between 4am and noon. (A tenth of an inch of rain is currently forecasted for this time period.)
  • The greatest chance of rain will occur between 2p and 7p, with scattered showers likely. This will also be our greatest chance for thunderstorms. (1 to 2 tenths of an inch of rain is currently forecasted.)
  • A chance of scattered showers will resume after 8pm and continue through midnight. Any rain that does occur should again be light and short lasting. (Less than 1/2 a tenth of an inch of rain is currently forecasted.)
  • Monday (30% chance of rain during the day, with 20% at night.)
  • Monday currently has the least chance of rain for this holiday weekend, with a chance of scattered showers possible through 7pm. (1 to 2 tenths of an inch of rain is currently forecasted.)
  • Rain chances diminish after 7pm. Any rain that does occur should again be light and short lasting, with only a trace of measurable rain currently forecasted for this time period.

    Winds

    Winds are currently forecasted to be relatively seasonable for our area this weekend. As a coastal tracking storm, the centerline path of TS Colin is expected to pass us to the east. Therefore, the eastern portions of our county are the "worst case scenario" in regards to wind values for Beaufort County. The following wind conditions are currently forecasted for Belhaven, Pamlico Beach and Aurora.

  • Saturday
  • South winds will increase through noon today, becoming sustained between 8 and 15 mph. Frequent gust between 15 and 20 mph are possible through this afternoon.
  • Sunday
  • TS Colin is expected to move across the NC coast Sunday, bringing transitioning winds as follows:
  • 4a - 8a: East winds sustained between 10 and 15 mph, with gust between 20 and 25mph.
  • 9a - 1p: Northeast to Northwest winds sustained between 10 and 15 mph, with gust between 15 and 20 mph.
  • 2p - Midnight: Southeast winds sustained between 5 and 10 mph.
  • Monday
  • Transitioning winds will continue as follows:
  • 1a - 9a: North winds sustained around 5 mph.
  • 10a - Midnight: South / Southeast wind sustained between 5 and 10 mph.

    Please see the attached briefing and email below from the National Weather Service for more information.

    Again, these forecast details are not absolute, and are subject to change. We encourage everyone to continue to monitor local media outlets for updates, as well as any watches and / or warning that may be issued.

    We will continue to pass along information as we receive it.

    As always, thank you all for what you do to keep Beaufort County informed, prepared and safe.


   Chris Newkirk
   Deputy Director
   Beaufort County Emergency Services
   1420 Highland Dr
   Washington, NC 27889
   Office: (252)940-6511
   Cell: (252) 378-5352


    Good Morning Eastern NC Partners,

    Tropical Storm Colin formed this morning along the central coast of South Carolina. TS Colin will move northeast along the NC coast today through Sunday, bringing with it a variety of impacts including locally heavy rainfall, potential for isolated tornadoes, and gusty winds, especially along the coast. Please see our full briefing for more details.

    If you have any questions, please call our office at 252-223-5737 ext. 6.

    Regards,

    NWS Newport/Morehead City

Image



   NOAA - National Weather Service
   Newport/Morehead City, NC Weather Forecast Office
   533 Roberts Rd
   Newport, NC 28570
Go Back

HbAD0

Latest The Region

Recently, Golden LEAF President, Chief Executive Officer Scott T. Hamilton sat down with Patrick Woodie, President of the N.C. Rural Center, via Zoom and filmed the sixteenth edition in a video series called Critical Conversations.
After the devastating impact of Hurricane Matthew in 2016, the N.C. General Assembly appropriated funds to Golden LEAF to help communities recover by restoring critical government services.
On August 4, 2022, the Golden LEAF Board of Directors awarded $445,582 in funding to support projects through the Open Grants Program and $1,382,782.18 to support rural broadband to community anchor institutions through MCNC.
Voyages Series to focus on making a difference through sustainability, activism and diversity
Pirate Nation raises nearly $70 million through gifts and commitments
Today, the Golden LEAF Board of Directors awarded $445,582 in funding to support projects through the Open Grants Program and $1,382,782.18 to support rural broadband to community anchor institutions through MCNC.
ECU researchers find possible link between COVID-19, Parkinson’s Disease
ECU researchers receive NOAA grant to explore WWII battle site in Alaska

HbAD1

 
Back to Top