Good Morning Everyone,
The current forecast continues to place Idalia further off of North Carolina's coast at a slightly faster pace than previously expected, thus accelerating the arrival of improving conditions for our area. These changes have been highlighted below.
- Most of our county to include Washington, Chocowinity, Old Ford and Belhaven received 1 1/2 to 3 inches of rain overnight. Localized higher amounts of 4 to 5 inches are being reported in Pinetown and Aurora.
- The heaviest rains are now moving off shore. The light rain that we are currently receiving is expected to continue through 11am, before reducing to scattered showers and eventually ending around 6pm.
- Our current winds conditions (North sustained 15 to 25 with gust of 30 to 40) will continue through 6pm this afternoon.
- North wind sustained between 10 and 15 mph will continue through 5pm tomorrow. Frequent gust of 15 to 20 mph are possible between 9am and 5pm tomorrow.
- Most of our shorelines are currently experiencing 2 to 3 feet of surge. These levels are expected to continue through the early afternoon and recede to near normal overnight.
Severe Storms & Tornados
- The tornado watch has been canceled for our area with no other threats of severe weather forecasted.
Please see the email below and attached briefing from the National Weather Service for additional information.
The National Weather Service will be hosting virtual webinars to discuss Idalia's forecast and potential impacts as follows:
There will be no further updates pertaining to this storm.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for what you have done to keep Beaufort County informed, prepared and safe.
Beaufort County Emergency Services
1420 Highland Dr
Washington, NC 27889
Cell: (252) 378-5352
National Weather Service Email
Flash Flood Warnings are in effect for portions of the southern coastal areas and Outer Banks. Heavy Rainfall will continue to be a significant threat this morning.
Gusty winds and dangerous marine conditions are ongoing and will continue through the day and coastal flooding remains a threat.
Today 1130 AM
Please register for all webinars using this link:
*Note, you only need to register once and then you will have access for all of the webinars.
NOAA - National Weather Service
Newport/Morehead City, NC Weather Forecast Office
533 Roberts Rd
Newport, NC 28570