Publisher's note: The author of this post is Mitch Kokai for the John Locke Foundation.
Editors at Issues and Insights believe
Democrats have identified a potential scapegoat
if they lose this fall's presidential election.
- The postmaster general is rarely a household name. Expect that to change should the Democrats lose in November. If that happens, they will try to turn Louis DeJoy into the Vladimir Putin of the 2020 elections.
- DeJoy took the helm of the postal office in June, and since then the former head of New Breed Logistics has been trying to bring some semblance of fiscal order to an operation that has been losing billions of dollars for years.
- "Without dramatic change, there is no end in sight, and we face an impending liquidity crisis," DeJoy told the U.S. Postal Service's governing board last week. ...
- ... But to hear Democrats tell it, DeJoy is engaged in "deliberate sabotage" of the upcoming elections. That's how Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., put it. DeJoy, you see, is a Trump supporter, and so must be part of a broad conspiracy. ...
- ... Rep. Brenda Lawrence, D-Mich., warned that "our democracy is being held in the hands of the postal service."
- Give Lawrence credit for stumbling onto the truth. Except that it's Democrats, hoping to give themselves an advantage in November, who've put the election in the hands of the postal service. They are the ones who have been pushing since the spring for mandatory universal mail-in voting, on the spurious grounds that it's needed for public health. As we noted in this space recently, it's Democrats and their allies who are right now suing states across the nation to expand mail-in voting.
- But if things go wrong, which they will, it won't be because of Postmaster General DeJoy. It will be because Democrats put the election in the hands of an organization that is riddled with waste and that can't be trusted to do its job.